The courts in White Plains, New York have the authority to appoint a guardian to protect the interests of adults and infants who cannot protect themselves.

  • The Surrogate’s Court can appoint a guardian to protect the person and property of an adult or an infant. A Guardian for the Property of an infant or a mentally retarded or developmentally disabled adult can be authorized to invest, sell, lease, or mortgage the ward’s property.
  • The Supreme Court can appoint a Guardian for the property, not the person, of an adult.
  • The Family Court can appoint a Guardian only for the person of a minor under the age of eighteen years old.

Contact the Salant lawyers to work with an experienced New York guardianship lawyer serving Westchester County, Rockland County, Dutchess County, Putnam County, New York County, and Bronx County.